What does living your best life look like? Does it include traveling to far off places, or staying at home and working in your garden? Is it fast paced, or slow paced? Does in include a lot of people, or time by yourself? The more we can clarify what living our best looks like, the better chance we have to live it.
I am always analyzing life. It’s what I do. As part of that, I have been asking myself, again, what are the components that create a great life for me? As summer has started, I have watched those close to me fill their time with a plethora of different activities. They all look like a ton of fun, but I suddenly find myself saying to myself “I should do that” or “should John and I do that?” As I sat and analyzed these feelings, I reminded myself of what is important to John and I, what we like to do and not do, and where we are at in our lives right now. It helped me to reconnect with what living my best really looks like.
Have you ever taken the time to write down what living your best life looks like? Just like any dream or plan, it will take some time to refine it, but how do we expect to obtain it if we have not yet defined it? Here are some questions to get you started. Write down the answers to start the process of defining your best life.
- How do you love to spend your time? It’s okay to admit you like cleaning your house…I do!
- Who do you love to spend your time with?
- Do you love being at home, away from home, or a little of each?
- What kind of place would you love to call home? Big? Small? Mobile?
- Do you enjoy spending time with people, or do you get rejuvenated by being by yourself?
- Do you like to be active and fill your day with a lot of activity or do you like to keep it simple and enjoy rest?
- Do you like to travel? Where do you want to go?
- What hobbies do you like?
- What is fun for you?
- What gives you value and allows you to feel like you are contributing to those around you?
- What kind of work do you like to do?
- Are you a planner or do you like to go with the flow?
This is a small list of questions to get you started in the right direction. Take some time this summer and start to define what living your best looks like. Remember that this is your life you are living. Live it the way that is best for you. Yes, some compromise must happen when we have a significant other, but the more we live the life that is best for us, the more fulfilled we will be.
Here’s to defining our best life and living it the best we can!