As you work towards living your best life, do you suddenly experience fears that seem to come out of nowhere? Fear is something we all face to one degree or another. Some of us fear disappointing others, some fear looking foolish, and some fear financial uncertainty. The list of fears goes on and on. No one is immune to fear, the difference is how we deal with it. It can be the difference between moving forward or staying still.
Staying still is not an option for me. I always have to be doing something or working towards a goal. It is who I am. Because of this, I continue to travel roads that I have never traveled before, embarking on new territory. I wonder at times if I can really reach my goals. I wonder if I have it in me to keep going. I look into the future and wonder how I’m going to climb the mountains that are ahead. But I also see the sunrise over that mountain and I know there are great things for me on the other side. So how do I keep going? How do I persevere not knowing what lies ahead?
Here are some things I am trying to focus on. I hope they help you on your life’s adventures and goals as well.
- I’m finding individuals who have found success and I am learning as much I can from them. I have no desire to reinvent the wheel. Most people who have gone before us would love to know that their hard work is helping someone else succeed. We live in a day and age where the information we have access to seems endless. There are YouTube videos for every possible project you can think of. I am reading a ton, watching tutorial videos and spending time with people who have experience that I do not. An added bonus is these people bring much needed encouragement as well!
- I’m talking to myself, A LOT! I don’t know about you, but there are a lot of unsolicited thoughts that enter my mind that are negative. These uninvited thoughts tell me that I am silly to think I could accomplish such big goals. These thoughts try to coax me to stay inside my comfort zone. These thoughts tell me that I cannot make a difference in the world. These thoughts are WRONG, and I need to constantly remind them of it. So I tell myself, sometimes in my mind, sometimes out loud, that I can accomplish big things! Other have persevered before me, and so can I. I read myself a quote by Neale Donald Walsch that I have on my refrigerator that says “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” It is true! I remind myself that I am making a difference in the world. The negative thought will never stop invading my mind, but I am going to do all I can to stop them and refute them as quickly as possible.
- I’m creating a plan. This is challenging when we don’t know exactly what lies ahead, but I at least know what needs to happen in the foreseeable future. I take what I know, I create a plan, then I work my plan. As I move forward and crest the next hill, I suddenly see what the road ahead looks like. I add to my plan and keep moving forward one step at a time.
- I’m doing it afraid. This is no lie. I see things coming up in my near future that I need to tackle that are out of my comfort zone. But doing it afraid is the greatest way to move past my fears. I have done it before, I can do it again!
- I’m trying to remember to celebrate the victories, big and small. If I look back, I can see that I have come so far, and so have you! Isn’t it easy to jump right back on the road and keep moving forward? I have to remind myself to stop and enjoy the view. Look back and enjoy the view of the road I have already conquered. I have to celebrate how far I have come!
I want you to know that I am pushing forward in my dreams and goals right alongside of you. You are not alone. Moving forward can be hard at times, but don’t give up. We got this!
Here’s to putting fear in it’s place and conquering new territory!