Whether you believe in New Years Resolutions or not, the start of a new year brings with it the feeling of a fresh start and gives us the desire to make changes in our lives. After all we have eaten over the past few weeks, eating better, losing weight and starting an exercise program seem to be at the top of the list. But if you are like me, I have lived through 41 New Years days and I still have not made some needed changes.
We had a great party this week celebrating my mom’s 80th birthday. Most of my family were in town for the occasion so we had some great times together as we prepared for the big party. During lunch my brother and I were talking about Coaching and the Social Work field he is in, and the subject of change came up. From across the room, my sister said what we all feel like saying “but change is HARD!” She hit the nail on the head!
I for one have simply had things too easy for me. I think one of my problems is that I have become so accustomed to fast results and easy fixes that I am somehow addicted to that. When something is not going to be checked off the todo list quickly, I don’t even want to tackle it.
The reality is, THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE TAKE TIME, AND EFFORT, AND ARE THE MOST AMAZING WHEN THEY ARE ACHIEVED!
- Relationships, friendships, trust and love all take time, but are worth it!
- Financial security takes investment then a lot of time.
- A healthy body is about making right choices every day for the rest of our lives, not just for 6 months.
I am encouraging myself and want to encourage you as well, don’t put off those important goals in life because they are hard.
- Know that many people before us have made the change and succeeded.
- Know that you can make the change too.
- Know that it might look messy, and that’s ok. Real life does not look like the commercials we see on TV.
- Recognize that it will be hard and require effort and planning.
- But move forward anyway!
What hard thing have you been putting off? Is it time to start moving forward on those goals? You can do it!
* I love planning, and I think tackling those hard things in our lives require a little bit more planning than the simpler things. I am reading PUSH by Chalene Johnson. It does have a fitness focus, but whether that is your focus or not, her goal setting process is really good and she acts as a cheerleader to keep me motivated.
* If you have started the process of making some hard changes in your life, and you need a boost, some accountability and some new perspectives, those are just a few of the things I provide as a Certified Coaching Leader. It is my job to help you continue to move forward towards success on those hard goals. Let’s spend a year together and see what amazing things we can accomplish together.
* I also provide Life Planning Home Groups or Classes. You can host one of my Life Planning Home Groups by gathering 6-10 friends at a location of your choice, and I will come to you and walk you through the Life Planning Process. Please note that I do need to cover travel costs, so if you live in Hawaii, I am more then happy to come to you, but it may cost a little bit more!
* I am also starting another round of Life Planning Classes at St. Charles Community College if you prefer a more academic environment. We start back on Tuesday, January 21st. Click to register.