It is my hope for all of us, this week, to live our lives true to who we are, so that we can be our best for those around us.What does that look like for you?
We live in this world together with a bunch of amazing people, all of which are amazingly unique. We all bring different gifts, traits and experiences that make us who we are. They make us pretty great. It is especially wonderful when we tap into our uniquenesses and allow them to fuel us to be the best we can be for others in our world. We become better neighbors, friends, moms, daughters, co-workers and leaders. Let’s take some time this week to reconnect with what makes us great, them turn around and share that greatness!
There are a number of strengths assessments that are available that bring wonderful insights into who we are. I remember when I took my first assessment called Leading From Your Strengths by Ministry Insights, I was a little freaked out. How could I answer a bunch of multiple choice questions and have a report generated that explained me better than I could explain myself? These reports never claim to be 100%, but mine was right on. My husband had taken the assessment as well, and we started to understand more about each other, and why we each act the way we acted. It was eye opening. Since then I have taken other personality and strengths assessments that have brought even more insight. The biggest thing I take away each time is that I have some pretty cool strengths, and so does everyone else around me. I have learned to appreciate myself, and just as importantly, I have learned to value to strengths of others. I will leave a list of some different assessments at the end of this post. If there is a book that accompanies the assessment, I highly recommend reading it. It will help distill all of the information in the assessment.
Long story short, when we work within our areas of strengths, we tend to feel more energized. When we have to work in an area that we are not strong, it will require a lot more energy and we will become drained faster. Sometimes we do not have a choice, but we also have a lot of control over how our days transpire. Here are a few things to get you started:
- Are you a morning person, or a night person? When you start to embrace the time of day that you are the most awake, you can focus that positive attention to something that is important to you. I have found that mornings are a great time for me to do some heavy learning and thinking. Right after lunch is the best time for me to write my blog post, work on writing my book or other creative work. Afternoon is a great time for me to move around and get odds and ends done. At 9:00 pm every night I am in bed, much to the dismay of my night-owl husband. He on the other hand can be the most creative late at night. Recognizing the best time for you to focus and the best time for you to sleep will give you energy to be the best for those around you.
- Are you fast paced, or do you prefer a slower pace? If you love a fast pace, it will drive you crazy to be stuck behind someone who is moving really slow. You love and feel energized by moving and going. If you enjoy a slower pace, you might enjoy taking your time getting ready in the mornings. You feel the energy being drained from you when you are forced to rush. If you are like me, I always forget something when I am rushed. When I am able to work at the pace that is right for me it just feels…right.
- Are you energized by being around people, or do you need time to yourself to get refreshed? I have been quiet my entire life. I have never been the life of the party. I thought for many years that I was not as good as others who were more outgoing. I have now learned that I have amazing strengths in my quiet life, and one is that I get refueled in solitude. Whichever fuels you…fuel up!
- Are you an idea generator, or an idea implementor? It is true, some people are great with coming up with amazing, creative ideas. There are others that are at their best making those great ideas a reality. This was the case for one of my favorite jobs. My boss came up with some really great ideas. Sometimes he had so many great ideas we actually started an “idea board” so he could tell me which ones were the highest priority. I was than great at all of the detailed work to make them happen. It was truly one of my favorite jobs because we were both able to appreciate and work within our own strengths.
Make It Happen Action Step: I hope this week, you can recognize a unique strength that makes you who you are…AMAZING!
- Pay attention to the things that energize you and figure out why they do.
- Pay attention to the things that drain you and ask yourself why.
- If you have taken a personality assessment, pull it out and remind yourself of your great strengths and what you have to offer to our world.
- Grab a book or take a new assessment to learn more about yourself. It is a great investment in YOU and the world around you.
I tell you every week, YOU ARE AMAZING, because you are! You bring so much to our world and the people around you.
Here’s to being true to who you are!
Some Assessments I Have Taken
- Leading From Your Strengths – Ministry Insights https://www.ministryinsights.com/leaders/leading-from-your-strengths-profile/
- DISC Assessment
- Myers Briggs Assessment
- Think, Learn, Succeed by Dr. Caroline Leaf – Book and assessment on the unique way you use your mind and process information. Her website also has great videos to explain the assessment. https://perfectlyyou.com/
Other Assessments That Have Been Recommended To Me
- Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath – Book and Assessment
If you know someone who would enjoy today’s blog post, please share it with them. It is my heart to help as many women live the best life they can. I always appreciate your help sharing the word!
If you have not yet signed up for my email list, click here to sign up! I’ll send you my weekly blog, give you info about free stuff (something new is starting in June), and other classes and promotions I am working on for later this year. I can’t wait to see your name on my list!